Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Far Breton


I first came upon the recipe for Far Breton last summer in Mira's cooking blog and was immediately intrigued. Flan meets custard - my two favourite desserts - who wouldn't want to try it. I even made the prunes at home, in the oven, following instructions I found on the web.


However, instead of a few hours, it took a few ... days!, so next time I'll probably buy a fruit dryer first or experiment the traditional way with sun and air.


However, I made the mistake of using a rather big baking dish for my far breton and the batter came very thin, not covering the prunes. It was delicious, but not a real far breton. I put away the remaining prunes in the freezer and have been meaning to make a proper go at the recipe ever since.


Until Mira's latest publication on flan reminded me of the Far Breton. This time I used a more suitable baking dish and everything went as planned.
Ingredients: 
  • 250 g flour
  • 500 ml milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 150 g sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 2 tbs of alcohol (this time we didn't have rum or cognac at home, so I used Irish cream)
  • butter to graze the tin
  • prunes


The method I used is as described by Mira - you mix the dry and the liquid ingredients separately and then add the liquid to the dry and mix thoroughly.Then pour the batter onto the prunes and bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 15 min and at 150C with a fan for another 45 min or so, until the crust is golden.




The resulting dessert is interesting, tasting something like flan and something like baked macaroni with milk, but not quite. Still, if it's going to be eggs, milk and sugar, I think I'll stick to flan or custard next time :)


And my new beginnings - three new puzzles I bought yesterday:


And the sleeve of my Jirachi cardigan - I think the transition from the moss stitch border to the chart went very smoothly, so far I love it!

1 comment:

  1. The designer who came up with that is clever to come up with those 3-D cubes. I so love that teal! Those puzzles look fun.

    ReplyDelete